Pages

Salmon, Leek and Apple Fish Cakes

Friday 26 February 2016

A couple of days ago I discussed with my sister how people tend to have one sense more developed than the others. For example, her hearing sense is a lot more sensible than  her sight, touch, smell and taste. She told me that she can experience strong and deep feelings by listening to a song.


And then I realised that my smell and taste sense are my most developed senses. I presume they are quite interconnected. 

It is not uncommon for me to walk into a bakery and take a deep breath. It is also not unusual – although some people do find it more than a little strange and disconcerting – to find me walking out of the place with bag of freshly baked bread in front of my face as I sniff it.

 

Now I think about it, it may look a little weird.

Anyway, today I wanted to share a list of my 10 favourite smells with you.

1. Fresh ground coffee.
2. Freshly cut grass. 
3. The pages of a new book.
4. Bread, straight out of the oven.
5. A baby’s head. 
6. Burning wood in a fireplace.
7. New pencils being sharpened.
8. Freshly washed clothes.
9. Fireworks on bonfire night.
10. Warm popcorns.

What are your favourite smells?



This week´s recipe is certainly one that will leave your home smelling like heaven.


WHAT YOU NEED

2 Salmon Fillets (around 250gr)
2 Apples
1 Leek
50gr Stuffing
3 Free Range Eggs
200gr Bread Crumbs
2tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1tsp Dill
Salt & Pepper to taste


WHAT YOU DO

Season the salmon fillets with salt, pepper and dill. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan to high heat and sear the fish so it has a crispy crust on one side but is just-barely-done in the center.  Set aside.


In the same oil, cook the leek and apples finely chopped to medium heat. Stir continuously until golden brown.



Flake the salmon in a deep bowl and add the apple and leek. Then add the stuffing and mix until well combined. Finally, beat 1 egg and add it to the mixture. At this point it may be easier to mix with your hands. Season with salt, pepper and dill to taste.



Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Divide the mixture into 8-10 pieces and shape each one into a fishcake. Put 2 beaten eggs into one shallow dish and the bread crumbs into another. Coat each fish cake first in the egg then in the breadcrumbs.


Bake them for 10 minutes, flip the cakes and bake another 10 minutes until until crisp and golden brown. Serve with vegetables or a lightly dressed salad and some lemon wedges for squeezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.