Pages

Apple & Cinnamon Straws

Friday 18 April 2014

This week I have been feeling a bit crummy. This is something I am not really used to.


And I must confess I cannot stand it. Feeling sick, looking sick, not being able to do what you want to do or even what you need to do is something that overwhelms me. 

I try to use all sort of strategies to let my body know that it must get well as fast as it can. I try to carry on trying not to be bothered by the faintness. I try to convince myself: you are not ill. You are definitely not ill. Like a mantra.


I know sometimes it is just a matter of resting some days, taking it easy and let the others look after you. But… It is sooooooo boring to be ill. 


When any of the strategies work, I go to bed. And stay there lethargic with the same pyjama on (call me mucky) for 2 or 3 days. And I tend to think. To think more than normally, I mean. If I could travel in time I would certainly go to the industrial revolution era, me working in a textile industry fighting for the working women rights; or to the Elizabethan Era, attending The Globe to enjoy some of the Shakespeare hits of the time, maybe Macbeth or The Tempest with those amazing Tudor dresses. If I were an animal I would be a caterpillar… warm and cosy in my silky cocoon, safe from wind, rain or cold… or maybe a fish! No, no, too wet… What if win the lottery, oh that would be awesome… ok, ok, I cannot win if I don’t play…. Ramblings, ramblings… And then I normally fall asleep and start dreaming about the oddest things… a giant cheese ball chasing me, a closed window that is my only  escape from fire, a wooden yurt in a paradise island… and then I awake, unsure of what the time it is or how long I have been sleeping… still feeling sick and miserable….  


Then, one morning I decide to get out of my refuge, take off my pyjama, have a shower and go downstairs. And be me again. 

And I cook, just because it cheers me up. I cook something I really fancy to eat. This time I really fancied something with apples and cinnamon… So I cooked one of the best snacks ever. And I ate them when they were still warm. Almost all of them. And then I started feeling better. Much better.



WHAT DO YOU NEED 

1 Shortcrust Pastry Roll
1 Apple
1 Egg
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of rock salt
1/2 Lemon
Toffee Sauce

1 Applebrook Cottage Jam Pot.



WHAT DO YOU DO

Pre-heat the oven to 200C.

Unroll the shortcrust pastry and cut in 2 halves. With the help of a fruit peeler, cut the apple in thin slices. Spread the Applebrook cottage jam all over one of the halves and cover with the apple’ slices. Squeeze some lemon on top.



Cover with the remaining halve of the shortcrust pastry and cut it in thin strips (around 1cm). Place them carefully on an oven tray lined with baking paper.


Paint with beaten egg to give your straws a glossy finish. Finally, sprinkle some cinnamon and rock salt and bake for 10 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.


Leave them cool on a rack to firm up. Dip in toffee sauce and relax.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.