Pages

Apple, Capers & Anchovies Potato Salad

Friday 25 November 2016

I am and have always been an eager reader. I think I learned to read before I could walk, and I have been swallowing book after book since I can remember.

I enjoy reading pretty much anything with pages. But if I had to choose a literary genre I would choose children's literature without a doubt.

Over the years, I´ve put together a huge collection of children´s books. And I must admit that most of times I pretend I´m buying them for the boys (although then I write "Paloma" in the "this book belongs to...." page).


Something I do since the boys were born is reading them books every day. I love sitting together discovering the pictures and wondering what happened with the different characters after the story.

Now, we are reading a book from an Italian author called Gianni Rodari, who wrote hundreds of stories that spark the imagination and delight of children everywhere - everywhere except the English-speaking world where their translations were banned because he was an Italian communist. 


Today I´m bringing you one of them:

Brif, bruf, braf

In the quiet of the courtyard, two children played by making up their own language to speak to one another without anyone else understanding what they said.

“Brif, braf,” said the first.

“Braf, brof,” answered the second. And they burst out laughing.

On the second-floor balcony was a kind old man reading his newspaper, and looking down from the opposite window was an old woman who was neither good nor bad.

“How foolish these children are,” said the woman.

But the good man disagreed: “I don’t think so.”

“Don’t tell me that you understood what they were saying.”

“Actually, I understood everything. The first said: ‘What a beautiful day.’ The second replied: ‘Tomorrow will be even better.’”

The woman turned up her nose but remained silent as the children began speaking in their own language once again.

“Maraschi, barabaschi, pippirimoschi,” said the first.

“Bruf,” replied the second. And both fell on the floor laughing once again.

“Don’t tell me that you understood them this time,” exclaimed the woman crossly.

“Actually, I understood everything,” answered the old man with a laugh. The first said: ‘How happy we are to be in this world.’ The second replied: ‘The world is so beautiful.’”

“But is it really so beautiful?” demanded the old woman.

“Brif, bruf, braf,” replied the old man.



This week´s recipe is a classic with a twist that will get you brif, bruf, braffing in a sec!


WHAT YOU NEED

For the salad

4/5 Medium Size Potatoes
2 Apples
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
A Bunch of Spring Onions
2tbsp Capers
50gr Anchovy Fillets
12 Quail Eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley

For the mayonnaise

1 Large egg
1/2tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Salt to taste

Sunflower Oil, as needed



WHAT YOU DO

Gently boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain well and leave to cool slightly.

In a separate saucepan, boil the quail eggs for 5 minutes. Peel and set aside.

Chop the apples, peppers and spring onions finely and put in a large salad bowl. 


Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and add to the mixture.

To make the mayonnaise, combine the egg with the lemon and salt in the container of a hand blender. Set the blender on medium speed and gradually drizzle in the oil while it runs, without moving the blender. When the mixture starts to thicken, move the blender very slowly until the mayo has the consistency you wish.

Add enough mayonnaise to bind. Stir in the finely chopped parsley. Mix together gently so that all the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the mayo, then add salt and pepper to taste.


Finally, top with the anchovy fillets and quail eggs.

Then tuck in and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! This is one of your best post ever!!! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! The recipe was quite good, and it got published in the Exeter Living Magazine!

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.