Pages

Fruit, Seeds & Chocolate Energy Bars

Friday 12 February 2016

This weekend I’m running my first half marathon!!! I’m soooo excited and nervous about if… I can’t stop thinking whether I will be able to make it to the finish line or not…

If you have been reading my blog you would probably know about my hate-love relationship with running. If not, you can have a look here and here. And despite feeling really disappointed with myself at times, I have not gave up. One, because I’m not the kind of person that gives up. Second, because running makes me feel tremendously happy and fulfilled. 


I have been running intermittently for around 3 years now. And I must admit that most of times I didn't know what was I doing. I didn't have a clue of how warming up looked like or how to do a proper stretch. I just wanted to run. To feel the air in my face. To go as fast as I could without thinking in anything, with my mind and my body focused in running for another 5 minutes.

Since I started running a bit more seriously and constantly some months ago, I feel a lot better, fitter and faster! I started running around 2k, in a pancake flat track. And let me tell you… I really struggled. After 30 minutes running at a granny’s pace, I was breathless, with my heart beats at the speed of light and feeling I was just about to faint.

Then my sons asked me to join the athletics club. I took them to a taster session and they absolutely loved. Since then, I go and run for at least an hour not matter the weather. So I could say that thanks to my two little boys I'm still running today.

 

Last Halloween I did a 2k fun run with them. It was one of the best experiences ever. In Christmas I did the Exeter Santa Run, where I finished a 5k run in 40 minutes.

Now, after some training and being constant, I can comfortably run 7k in around 45 minutes. I know it’s not a massive thing, but to me is a big step ahead.

I also need to thank my friend Oiane, who I share my weekly scores with, making me feel I'm not alone on this although we live more than 2K km apart. Also to Alejandro, who runs with me every Wednesday and won’t let me stop until the end of the athletics session no matter how red my face is.


This weekend I’ll be facing a really hard challenge. I’ll be running half marathon, or 21K. I have 4 hours to complete the run and I’m really keen on not being the last one.

For this reason, I’ve been trying to eat healthy and high in protein food. And I've made these home made energy bars that will keep me going until, hopefully, the finish line.


WHAT YOU NEED

1 Cup Prunes
1/2 Cup Raw Almonds
1/3 Cup Mixed Seeds (Chia, sunflower, sesame, etc.)
1/4 Cup Dry Apricots
2tbsp Honey
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chunks
2tbsp Almond Flour
1/2 Cup Almond Flakes



WHAT YOU DO

Put the prunes and apricots in a food processor and blend together. Set aside.

Chop the almonds in the food processor, but not too much. Mix with the prunes and apricots.

Add the seeds, honey and chocolate chunks. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.


 Line a tray with greaseproof paper and sprinkle the almond flour in the bottom. Put the mixture and press it into a flat layer of the desired thickness, then roll a rolling pin over the top to smooth it to a uniform thickness.


Sprinkle the almond flakes on top and press again.

 

Place the tray in the freezer for about 1 hour to harden. Then slice into bars of the desired size. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator and eat within 5 days.


1 comment:

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.