Pages

Tomato Tarte Tatin

Friday 6 May 2016

Spring is here!! I’m really loving this warm weather. Since I live in the UK I appreciate the different seasons a lot more. In Spain, where you only have winter and summer, people normally goes from running to avoid the terrible cold weather to running to avoid melting under the sun. Literally.

I remember one summer I stood still for longer than I should and my soles stuck to the road like marshmallows in a barbecue. True story.



In the UK, spring is like spring should be: flowers blossoming everywhere, massive house clean outs, butterflies, busy bees, flipflops and days that start getting longer and warm enough for an improvised picnic in the park.

But if there is anything I really love about spring is the start of the British gardening season. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of amazing gardens in Spain, but the obsession brits have with flowers, plants and vegetables is completely out or proportion. 

I never had a garden before, at least not my very own garden. And since we moved, I thoroughly enjoy spending time working on my little but productive piece of land. 


I love flowers and the beauty they bring to me and others. It's therapy for me, like reading books o baking cakes. Knowing that I grew something myself is a satisfaction, specially when the season has been good enough for me to harvest some tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli or squash.

A friend told me once that there is no merit in the British gardens, as they will grow beautifully regardless of how long or how hard you work on them.


I must admit that I agreed with him then. However, now, after fighting against weeds, ants infestation and slugs invasions, I realise how hard it is to have an enjoyable garden.

This week´s recipe is the first picnic food I´ve prepared this year. Really easy to make and I can guarantee that it will suit almost every palate with a glass of red wine.


WHAT YOU NEED

400g Cherry Heirloom Tomatoes (or enough to fill your tart pan)
1 Puff Pastry Roll
2tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2tbsp + 1tbsp Sugar
2tbsp Butter
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste



WHAT YOU DO

Preheat the oven to 200°C.

In a large pan, melt the butter and sugar together.

When it starts to caramelize, add the tomatoes and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar all over. Season with salt & pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce for 2 minutes.


Place the tomatoes in a tart pan. Place the pastry on top of the tomatoes and tuck the sides in. Place the tart in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.

Leave the tart to rest for 5 minutes, then flip over on a plate. Pour as much excess liquid as possible. Garnish the tart with fresh thyme leaves.

Serve warm and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. This dish is really, really tasty, I think that is now in my top list of your recipes, and it's very easy to cook it. The pictures are beautiful with that spring sun over the tomatoes. Just one thing I am a little bit in disagree: with this "cake" is better a white wine than a red one, or cold "sangria" in that case. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with JR Fuentes. Pictures are stunning, but what I don't know is how it will taste. I'm afraid that we'll have to come to your house again :P

    P.S.: I buy the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much!! I really love the colours too :) Always welcome to my home. xx

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.