Pages

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Friday 10 June 2016

Yes, we have succumbed. I must admit that it is my husband's pretty much entire fault. But hey, we are a team and we both agreed. To be truthful, it was me who arranged the whole thing this time.

I have always been quite critical with Disney: all this consumerism, manufactured fun, and the fact that I'm not Mr. Walter Disney's greatest fan. And when my parents took when I was around 13 years old I must admit the park itself didn't impress me much.


But I presume that when you are a parent, you do Disney for your children. In fact, when you are a parent, you do all sorts of things for your children. Like taking them to horrid birthday parties, or eating their left overs, or coming back home from that epic barbecue because they are tired, or forgetting what a relaxed weekend away means.

This week we've taken our kids to Disney after saving up for a while now. And I must admit it's been the best holiday ever.

I've enjoyed every single bit of planning. From the day we booked our flights, through the letters "Mickey" has been sending to the boys periodically with updates on the trip, to the day we were actually there and I melted when they saw Sleeping Beauty castle for the very first time and I could see their eyes sparkling with joy.


Rediscovering Disney magic through my children's eyes has been the most fantastic experience I have ever had.

“Yes, you can have ice cream. I'll have one too.”
“Yes, you can go on that ride again. I'll go with you.”
“Yes, you can stay up late. Let's watch Frozen one more time!”

These have been by far the most unforgettable, dream-filled, fantastic, wonderful, magical, happiest holidays ever.


This week's recipe is something I made for breakfast when we were back home. We had it in the hotel and the boys absolutely loved it. So why not extending the magic for a few more days?



WHAT YOU NEED

For the cake

115gr Unsalted Butter
115gr Sugar
3 Free-range Eggs
100gr Chopped Almonds
30gr Poppy Seeds
2 Lemons
125gr Self-raising Flour

For the lemon syrup

100gr Sugar
90gr Lemon Juice

For the lemon icing

225gr Icing Sugar
1 Lemon



WHAT YOU DO

Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC.

Line a cake tin with grease-proof paper.

Using an electric whisk, beat the butter with the sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one by one, beating each in well. Fold in the almonds, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice and the sifted flour.


Spoon the mix into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow the cake to cool on a rack.

Make the lemon syrup by heating the sugar and lemon juice in a pan until the sugar has dissolved. While the cake is still warm, make little holes in the top with a cocktail stick and pour the syrup over.


To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon zest and juice, stirring until smooth. When the cake is almost cool, pour the icing carefully over the top.

Serve and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. "Magic everywhere...".They have been a really magic holidays. And I think that the restaurants we discovered have been a big part of this success. Everything is better with your tummy "repleta" :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.